Thursday, November 13, 2014

Inspired by a 60 years old cyclist

I was on a ferry back to Singapore earlier this week and I was very lucky to get to know a very determined stranger on the ferry. Mr Jan van Susteren is a 60 year-old gentleman who is on a journey from New Zealand to the Netherlands, mainly on his bicycle.

The encounter with Jan immediately reminded me of the bicycle that I bought a couple of months back when I thought I was going to pick up cycling as a hobby. As the picture below clearly shows,
even on the day I collected my bicycle, I did not ride it home..

I even bought some lighting accessories from the internet thinking that I will be cycling often at night..

But guess what? In the past six months, I only managed to really cycle about two times..Can you imagine how I must have felt when I met a 60 year-old man going around about half of the world on his bicycle alone?

Anyway, after this chanced encounter with Jan, I am greatly inspired by how far a human can go on pedal power. While I am not planning to see the world on my bicycle yet, I will take Jan's advice to start off on a more regular basis..and I will follow Jan's Blog and Facebook updates as a form of support for him on his cycling journey. I hope you can do the same as well.

The other guy in the above picture is a Singaporean by the name Bob. I had requested for him to email me a few other photos we took with Jan. If I receive them, I will update the photos here.
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment