Friday, April 1, 2011

What the Qingming Festival (清明节) means to me: Paying respects to my ancestors!

The below is a famous poem by Du Mu(杜牧):
清明时节雨纷纷
路上行人欲断魂
借问酒家何处有
牧童遥指杏花村
It describes the weather(rainy) during this period of the year and makes me wana have a few drinks :P~
Qingming Festival is a time for Chinese to pay respects to their ancestors.The only ancestors that I've met and known are my grandparents. Anything above that, the most I remembered was a photo of my great grand-parents. Ancestor worship do not have a significant meaning for me except for the fact that this is a Chinese tradition and I am a Chinese. Well..not exactly..I guess that is what the younger generation may feel,not me.
I still miss my Grandparents..very very much! My parents used to whack me up pretty badly when I was a kid and my grandparents were always my protection. I can see the same situation today in my family..suddenly my parents became very lenient with their grand children! I wonder if my child and nieces will see Qingming Festival the way I do when my parents move on, because I am the only one amongst all my siblings who still attend to the festival year after year.
Every year, when I arrive at the graveyard, I have to try to remember which blk and plot number..they all look similar in the distance.

Dsc_0027
Once my Grandpa/ Grandma was located, we immediately set up our offerings and decorate the grave.

Dsc_0033
It is also a time of gathering for the rest of my family..

Dsc_0028
I have a bit of time to myself this year to reflect on my involvement in the Qingming Festival over the years and what it means to me. I have decided to just write a post about this so as to encourage younger generations of Chinese to treasure this tradition that may soon be dying out. ..very soon, we will see more and more untended grave like the picture below:

Dsc_0031
That was not the worst one I saw,but I just want to show some respect here..
Will you be participating in the Qingming Festival to honour your ancestors this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment