Friday, December 12, 2008

Civilian Food of the SAF Commandos



The Changi Village Food Centre was the nearest and most convenient way for Commandos to get a share of civilian food during their nights off or book out..or we even packet them back to Hendon Camp..

I have not really eaten our favorite Nasi Lemak(genuine one okay) since I stood down from National Service 2 years ago in 2006. When I 1st joined the Commandos in 1997,one such serving of Nasi Lemak(see pic below) only cost $2. When I stood down in 2006,it was $2.50..

When I ate it yesterday, the basic Nasi Lemak cost $3..there used to be price war..some selling at $2.50, some stalls would sell at $2. I guess they had a meeting just like OPEC..just like the petroleum companies..all sell at $3! Smart people.



Lets take a look at our most ordered dessert back then..see pic below..It looks a bit different now,but I assure you its from the same store..and the price now..? $2





What I finally ate for that evening, Nasi Lemak plus an Otah..$4..and the Almond Longan $2..all these for old times sake. The only thing lacking is the company..or platoon or section or your camp mates. Where are you all old guys??

Now I am beginning to seriously wonder what kind of civilian food the Commandos at the new camp eats. What food is it that still connects them to the civilian world? Anyone got the answers for me?

1 comment:

  1. takeaways frm outside is still the same old nasi lemak,jus tt nw commandos order red tea longan as the dessert.jus go to the dessert store 1 row in front of the authentic nasi lemak store and sae u wan commando dessert and they'll noe

    ReplyDelete