Monday, January 26, 2009

Happy Lunar New Year+Luang Prabang Architecure

Its just past midnight and I would like to take this opportunity to wish all my readers a very healthy and wealthy Lunar New Year.

Normally at this time, every year in the past more than a decade,I would be at Kwang Meng Mountain' templein Bishan to pray and subsequently to the Kwan Im temple at Waterloo St. I still remember how it all started when I first obtained my driving license in 1997,I drove my Dad's lorry around filled with my friends.

 It was fun back then as we were the young ones. Now when I see my younger cousins earlier during reunion dinner, my memories shifted back to the past and I decided to blog about it. My cousin got a driving license too,but I do not think he is as adventurous as I was.

Of couse,as the years past us by, my group of friends still carry on the tradition. However,of course some of them got married,have their family and so on..and I am kind of like a Christian now..but yet miss this tradition. I would have carry on, but today,this activity may not hold much meaning for me anymore..not without my friends.

I guess life is just like that, people come and go..or stay.It is not like me to feel melachonic on Lunar New Year's eve,but I do treasure my friends.

Ok,enough of the Lunar New Year..Let me show you more of Luang Prabang:

Today I am going to touch on the aspect of Luang Prabang that amazes me very much: its architecure. If I am not wrong,the Laos Government is also having a struggle of whether to allow the buildings to go higher to cater to the demand-which at the same time will cause them to lose the UNESCO World Heritage Site status of to still keep its charms and let the demand overflow.

I was very impressed by the buildings..many of them older than me..or even older than my dad!
Personally,I think the buildings..at a maximum height of 2 storeys max fits just right to give the city its rustic charms and I hope that they will keep it this way for the future generations to enjoy.

However if one day they can no longer keep the city like it is now..I am glad I have managed to 'freeze' this era with the follow photos for our future generations to refer to.




Now that you have seen the architecure, do you think this heritage should be preserved?

5 comments:

  1. Suddenly I remembered Alvin (SRT) when he first got his driving license. It was quite an experience for me to be sitting in his triangle-plate big car ... the way he over took cars and horn taxis then really made me sweat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Chinese New Year. May God bless you with good health and happiness.

    Gong Xi Fa Cai

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Tikno..God has sent me a message today in my letter box in the form of a Birthday Card..
    On it quoted Psalm 24:5 He shall receive blessing from the Lord,and righteousness from the God of his salvation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow.. is this mean your birthday? If so, Happy Birthday to you.

    I wrote the 2560 digit is based on Indonesian calendar. I don't know why the digit is differ in other countries. Please search through Google with the keyword "imlek 2560" and you will find many Indonesian sites saying "Imlek 2560". In Indonesia, the Chinese New Year is called "Imlek".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you tikno, my birthday is coming soon :)
    I tried to google for the answer,but I cannot seem to find it. Maybe we should start asking around if anyone knows the origin of imlek 2560?

    ReplyDelete