Saturday, January 31, 2009

Travel to Luang Prabang, Laos PDR (Part 10)

Good gracious..Luang Prabang in 10 parts and not finished yet? Maybe I should not go into too much details or I'll never be able to finish and move on within the year :P

This episode, let me bring you to one of the most temple in Luang Prabang, so because it is perched on top of a hill(300 over steps up) that overlook the whole city.

The view that you get when you arrive to the top is pretty breath taking..partly because of the climb.I do not think it is worth the 20,000 kip entrance fee..but can you imagine going thousands of miles to reach that place and not pay it a visit? If I don't, I must be crazy.

On my way up,I came across two pots of flowers and the flower pot stands. Generous gifts from the USA during the Vietnam war era.





Besides the view,I climbed all the way up to see this.....


and this.....sun set!



It was really not easy for me to take that shot because there were a lot of tourist cramming to take the same shots and most of them were taller than me! See below:


The next morning,I woke up very early at about 6am for a must see event that I had missed out for the past 2 days. Really wonder how I managed to wake so early..
This ceremony is known locally as 'Tak Bak',the giving of alms to monks and it happens every morning because what the monks can eat are given by the local community. Monks make their rounds and have to be back at their temple by 8am and they are not supposed to eat after noon.



What attracts me is the feeling that the culture and the community bonding here is much stronger than in Thailand. I really hope they can preserve this beautiful tradition and not let progress weaken it.

After the rounds,I woke my sister and my friend and readied them for breakfast. Sticking to our rule of not eating at the same place,we discovered our best breakfast on this last morning in Luang Prabang.

This whole place practically looked like a farang town,so of course we must try the authentic farang breakfast!


I was so excited when I happen to stand on the door step of Scandinavian Bakery..I ever read about it on a forum,so I told my sister,"Let's do this breakfast here!"


I cannot use words in my vocabulary to explain my satisfaction. My only regret was: Why din I discover this place earlier?? If I did,would I have had breakfast there everyday then?


All kinds of bread that you would expect to find in a real bakery..

Add on some fresh vegetables from the river bank nearby..

And my favourite ham omelet..the eggs in Luang Prabang simply taste different!

With a bit of spare time left before heading for the airport,I went alone revisit the river that I could not bear to part with..

But confirm last day always got something special. No,this special arrangement was not by me..It was by God,who created everything and make it so beautiful for His sons to enjoy..He gave me music and songs to go with the scenery..


This guy was just sitting at the next table strumming his guitar and singing English,Thai & Laotian songs..His voice was normal,but in the environment,its one of the most touching tunes I have heard for the whole trip!

We chatted a little and he was quite surprised that a Singaporean can speak Thai and find his way around in Luang Prabang. Hey Singaporeans and all global citizens..dun always go Bangkok shopping only,you can also drop by Luang Prabang while it is still holding its present charms!

With a very heavy heart,I handed my boarding pass for my next destination to the officer at the airport. Hopefully I can revisit the place one day and still be mesmerized by the city's charms.

Vientiane...Here I come!


9 comments:

  1. Have enjoyed your series of Laos blog posts! Thanks, dude!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful collection .. The place looks worth visiting .. Hope i could make it someday :)Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a nice post with nice pics! Hope one day I can have vacation to this part of the world.. I really want to. It's a bit embarrassing for an Indonesian not ever been there.. Duh! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Weekiat, Bikran & Nadia,

    Thank you for dropping by.

    Weekiat,its not the end of Laos yet..its just Luang Prabang. Upcoming should be Vientiane.

    Bikran,its definitely worth a visit. It took me 2 years from thinking about it to finally making the journey.

    Nadia, Indonesians are fellow ASEAN brothers & sisters,so you do not need a visa,should be easier for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are stunning shots. Thanks for taking me on tour!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic photos, TT. I just love each one of them. And I think your camera is a wonder, too.
    By the way, my sister is married to Tan. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Sandy and Grace for your encouragement.
    Grace,do you have another sister? Because I am still single :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, nice pics..they make me want to go there ...and the foods look so tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you bingkee,
    i am glad you like them :)

    ReplyDelete