Thursday, January 15, 2009

Travel to Luang Prabang, Laos PDR (Part 6)

Now we arrive at our next destination..The weaving village Bang Xanghai.

The 1st welcome we received upon arrival are rows and rows of home made Lao Whisky..hmm..i thought this is a weaving village??
The extraordinary point about these whisky is shown below..I was given a small cup to try..and then I saw what was it made of..

I decided that the whisky is not really my type(s)..so I declined to purchase and walked in..saw some chickens..

..of course against a backdrop of fine cloths that were freshly woven from silk and other materials. Of course,my sister also took the opportunity to show off her weaving skills..

but along came a native competitor... :P

We ended up buying some silver(instead of cloth) in a weaving village..were we drunk from that small tiny cup of whisky we tried earlier? Or because we met a formidable salesgirl(see her facial expression when we tried telling her we were not buying)??

Soon,its time we move on to the next destination..but that's not what I am going to talk about at the moment. I would like to point out that cars here are Left Hand Driven..

Most of the roads in Laos( I read about 70%) were unpaved..the 30% paved ones consists mainly of 2 lanes..one in each direction. I had observed that the seafarer's rule was practiced more as a rule of thumb. Look at the picture below..slow moving vehicles like the motorcycle will not move to the side to give way..they will still stubbornly in the middle of the lane and it will be the driver's prerogative to overtake. That means no one will ride/drive to the side for you to overtake..they will stick right in the middle of the lane..and you find your own opportunity to overtake at your own risk by cutting into the other lane.

We were on our way to the various famous temples in town..but I shall not touch too much on that. The next update shall be on our visit to a very beautiful waterfall..please stay tuned :)



1 comment: